My laptop is on its last legs, if the number of times it has crashed in the past month is any indication. Ever since buying an iPad when they first came out, I have been relying on my laptop less and less. If I can do something on my iPad, great. If not, then I’ll reluctantly fight with my old Dell.
When I saw the podcast assignment, my first thought was, “Oh no. My laptop can’t handle this.” Then: “Oh no. I don’t have a microphone that can handle this.”
I was right on both counts. My computer refused to recognize the microphone, and when it finally did, it sounded like I was underwater. I didn’t want to go out and buy a new microphone because it might not be any better.
On a whim, I searched the App Store for podcasting apps. One of the first results was Bossjock Studio. It looked really cool, but it also looked simple enough that even I could use it. At $9.99, it was going to be much cheaper than a second microphone. I downloaded the app and then discovered what I should have realized earlier. You can’t plug a microphone into an iPad.
I checked Staples and Amazon for iPad microphones and came across a few suspicious looking splitters. Finally, I decided to try the iPad’s built in microphone before buying another microphone. I launched the BossJock app and created a test recording. The sound was crisper than anything I had recorded so far. The microphone was excellent. I was able to record myself, and the product didn’t make me sound like I was talking around a mouthful of cotton.
I recorded my podcast in short segments to give myself time to breathe and prepare for the next segment. After about three minutes, I would start to lose my breath and my focus. In my first podcast, the sound was crystal clear. A little too clear. About three minutes in, I heard my dog snoring. Five minutes in, I heard a fire truck in the background.
I re-recorded the podcast and then exported it as an mp3 file. I imported the file into Audacity and then used Audacity to add the intro music, transition, and concluding music. Cutting and pasting in Audacity was surprisingly easy. I probably could have edited the podcast in Bossjock, but I was more familiar with that feature in Audacity, so I used that. Hopefully, I managed to cut out most of the “Ums” and “Uhs.” I also cut out a segment that didn’t seem to fit with the rest of the podcast.
I still really hate listening to the sound of my voice, but a higher quality mic made a big difference. I’m thrilled that I was able to find an iPad app that I could use for part of the assignment.
The BossJock interface: